Upon seeing this soup, the first thing many ask is "Is that a natural color?" Let me assure you - it is not Pepto-Bismol or bubble gum. The color comes from mixing the two main ingredients - buttermilk and beets. Yup, that's somewhat an acquired taste (which is definitely worth acquiring).
You will need:
- 1-2 small beets, boiled, peeled and coarsely grated (or just use a can of julienned beets. Make sure they are just canned, NOT pickled with vinegar, as it will affect the taste).
- 3 cups (750 ml) buttermilk
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup (a small handfull) chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons (an even smaller handfull) chopped fresh(!) dill
- A generous pinch of salt
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- Hot boiled or fried potatoes for serving
Just mix all the ingredients (except eggs and potatoes) in a large bowl or pot. If using canned beets, you can add extra juice to make the color brighter pink if you wish.
Place one egg cut in half in a bowl, ladle the soup on it. Serve with hot potatoes.